The Energy Savings Opportunites Scheme, ESOS, is a mandatory energy assessment and energy saving identification scheme. It has been established by the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) in response to an EU Directive. It is a mandatory scheme that applies to all large companies:
- i.e. ‘undertakings’ with more than 250 employees in the UK. It applies throughout the UK.
- or with an annual turnover > 50m Euros and
- the balance sheet > 43m Euros
Participants are required to do 3 things:
- measure total energy consumption.
- conduct energy audits to identify cost-effective energy efficiency recommendations, using a ‘licensed’ Lead Assessor.
- report compliance to the Environment Agency.
The compliance dates for ESOS reporting are 5 December 2015, 2019, 2023. The compliance date for the first reporting period was extended into 2016 and, if you have not already complied, it may still be possible to do so (without financial penalty) by getting an individual concession from the Environment Agency.
Murho Energy is accredited as a Lead Assessor for ESOS. We can provide free advice about ESOS and whether or how you comply. Murho can, if you wish us to do so, then complete the audit and ensure your compliance at a cost agreed in advance.